Monday, January 03, 2005

The sound of smoke and other things that don't make sense. . .

One part of my New Years Eve experience- I attended a party at a my good friends who happens to be a married couple, house. There were no married couples in attendance besides A&S. They invited a ton of fantastically fun single people, so the evening was quite exciting. Mormon parties are funny in general. Mormon New Years Eve parties have the potential to be even more hilarious. Since we don't drink alcohol things have to be livened up another way. With this group of friends, it is strange games. I will now describe for your reading pleasure a little game we like to call “Body!BODY!” Similar to mafia. Cards are passed out to however many people there are and whoever gets the ace is the “murderer.” Everyone else is just a plain nobody.(Really makes you feel good doesn't it?) The spokesmen person stands by the lights and turns them off. The murderer is trying to kill everyone without being caught. The murderer kills by pinching the back of someones neck. So when the lights go out everyone has their hands at their sides and intentionally bump into the other players. When you bump into another player you must ask, “Are you alive?”The other player, if they have not been neck-pinched, must reply, “Yes.” If they have been killed, they remain silent until someone bumps into them and they do not reply. The player who has run into the dead person then must yell, “BODY! BODY!” and the lights go on. Then begin the accusations. This part of the game turns friends in to enemies. Needless to say, I'm not too keen on people pinching my neck in the dark, so mostly I just hid until it was me and the murderer. After hiding several rounds, Em and I decided that it could be much more fun if we cheated. We never got the murderer card, so we just starting pinching other people's neck in the dark. This made the game much more fun. Everyone was shocked when the first time the lights went on that 9 people were killed. That's right, crazy killer on the loose! No one suspected us, and we never got caught. There you go. “Body! Body!” Play it at your next party if you dare. ;)

We played some other games. Now, I don't want this to come off bad, but I hate playing games I can't win. Well, not win, but I guess do mediocre at. With this group of friends from my play, they always play games that make me look like a complete idiot and platinum blonde in need of a refill. Let me be clear- I dislike strategy games, (namely Risk), Hide & Go seek,(I never can find anyone and I am always the first one found), or Movie trivia games. Honestly, how many people can answer, “Name the 1968 Danny De Vito film that featured what kind of sports car?” Yeah, that's what I thought. Somehow I manage to still look like a fool when we play these kind of games; everyone groans and gives half a smile when I'm put on their team. Now give me a game like Mad Gab, Cranium, Hoopla, Buzz, Catch Phrase or even Scrabble, and I can play with the best of them. I'll give you a run for your money. I enjoy word/creative/get everyone involved games. I realize that games are competitive; I'm competitive too, but aren't games fun when there's more competition and you're not playing against someone who you know will not even come close to challenging you? Perhaps I have a warped sense of fun n' games. . .

I think New Years Resolutions are interesting. Here are a few of mine:

-Stop rolling my eyes and develop a better poker face. I will get in less trouble if I develop both of these qualities.
-Not give people guilt trips, because I know how much I dislike when people manipulate my feelings.
-Learn to tap dance.
-Keep writing.
Go to the temple at least once a month
-Be able to sit through a “Roommate Meeting” (ughhh) without verbally vomiting on my roommates. Keep all naughty comments to myself and smile even if my face hurts.
-Make piano a priority. I know it keeps me sane.
-Try sushi
-Do “thoughtful” things for people just because I can
-Practice appreciating people and the opportunities life brings

I know I had a few more. . . blast.
Happy New Years everyone!

3 comments:

Alice said...

With the exception of the neck pinching this game sounds vaguely familiar. And I remember it being fun... I think the neck pinching part could be funny because the next day all of you are going to look like you have hickies... and really it was all wholesome fun.

As to your new years resolutions are you sure you want to give up the verbal vomit at the roommate meetings? I suggest saving this one for a year when your roommate is your husband, until then relish in the verbal vomit.

Alicia said...

Honestly, I don't want to give up on the verbal vomiting. It's quite a lot of fun. I don't know what it is but when my anal roommate wants to discuss who is going to wipe the crumbs off the counter daily and wants to have a chart about it, something inside of me goes off and makes me want to writhe in pain. Usually I settle for verbal vomit. All these sarcastic, and may I add, surprisingly witty comments come shooting out of my mouth before even thinking about the consequences. Maybe I should just tone it down a bit. . . ;)

Alice said...

Oh contraire… why must we assume that your sarcasm is the problem. She needs to learn to cope in a society that includes more than just her. She has no problem telling you how to live your life and so you should have no problem poking fun at this lack of understanding of communal living… some may disagree with me, but I hold my ground firmly. Blast away Star!