Monday, January 24, 2005
I make lists. About three years ago I got a nice blank card and made a list. This was a list of qualitites I look for in a potential spouse and someone I date. When I made this list, one of the rules was that it couldn't be superficial or physical things; it had to be qualities, or characteristics. None of this 6'4" dark hair baby blue eyes crap. (Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't fight if that happens, but I'm not putting that on my list) Anyway, this list included things like "ambitous, makes me laugh, family oriented" and other "crap" ;). I kept this list in my planner and would update it when I thought of another quality to add. The beginning of this month I got a new planner, and forgot to transfer my list. I lost this list. I have determined that apparently I need to re-group and make a new list. So today I bought these notecards on which to start my list. I think my list may be a little different than when I began it three years ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Star. I think it is good to loose lists like this. My mom opened up a time capsule in 2000. We as children speculated on where we would be in life, what we would have accomplished 10 years later, etc. Nothing made me feel worse then this time capsule. I think, if you aren’t careful, lists can be the same… if you set too many expectations you may find yourself looking for something when what you really want is right in front of you… Keep the list, but try and loose it on occasion.
I love new planners.
Rebecca, I think it was a very good think to lose this list. It made me think of the things that are important to me, now, not three years ago. Last night I wrote some qualities down. This is a much shorter list. Some of the things are the same, but I think I've realize that my expectations have changed. That's very interesting about your times capsule. Was it painful or just strange to see that things didn't happen that you thought would? If the time capsule(or letters to self)seems likea bad idea, how do you set long term goals?
Good question. I have long term goals, but I try to make sure that they all focus on what I know I can accomplish, on things I have control over. For example marriage would never be on my list of long term goals (it is something I hope for, as is a family, but it wouldn’t be on a list of goals because I don’t have much control over whether or not this happens). My goals include only things that I have control over…
When asked the question where do I want to be in ten years? I answer with attributes I want to have, such as I want to be a more understanding person, I want to know more about world politics, I want to be a good friend, I want to be a great daughter and sister, I want to perfect my business skills and learn to spell without having to rely on spell check. After the time capsule incident I no longer list things like I want to be living in a nice house with a wonderful husband and ten kids… Because you know what, I am not too bad off where I am at right now, even if it wasn’t where I had hoped to be as a 15 year old girl in 1990.
That is all I’m trying to say…
Post a Comment