Saturday, May 28, 2005

Do hooks make it more attractive, Jerry ?

Last night Michelle and I went to Marie Calendar's, where I ate German chocolate pie. Holy carp, it was funny. She had been all sorts of stressed out with her job so we decided we needed pie, and then ended up getting real food as well. Here's my favorite conversation of the evening:

Me: So, He has kind of small hands. Like noticably small hands, much smaller than mine. I figure he doesn't care because we're still together and he doesn't seem to mind if I have the "man hands" in the relationship.
Michelle: Well, you know what they say about small hands. . .
Me: I thought about that, and discussed it with Emily, and she told me it's not always indicative of--



--At this point Michelle realized that I had unintentionally made a nice little pun on "indicative," when talking about His. . . anyway, it took me a second to understand and cognize what I had just said. We both shot out one of those horrible laughs which then turned into our family's trademark silent laughter where we leave our mouth wide open, no sound comes out and we rock back and forth. Then the tears came. And they came for about five minutes. Mascara was streaming down my face and I think our Pocahontas-esque waitress was seriously considering the possibility that we were mentally unstable, (which I think last night we were).

After regaining some composure, I tried to think of a better word/synonym for "indicative" so I could finish my statement of twenty minutes earlier. Neither of us could think of anything. Thanks to dictionary.com, however, here is the list:

apocalyptic, augural, auspicious, characteristic, connotative, demonstrative, denotative, denotive, designative, diagnostic, emblematic, evidential, evincive, expressive, inauspicious, indicatory, indicial, ominous, pointing to, prognostic, significant, significatory, suggestive, symbolic, symptomatic, testatory,appropriate, diagnostic, differentiating, discriminating, discriminative, distinctive, distinguishing, emblematic, especial, essential, exclusive, fixed, idiosyncratic, inborn, inbred, individual, individualistic, individualizing, ingrained, inherent, innate, local, marked, native, normal, original, particular, peculiar, personal, private, proper, regular, representative, singular, special, specific, symbolic, symptomatic, typical, unique.

Wow. What a night.

4 comments:

Etelmik said...

Um, that really really funny, and I can totally imagine that scene. Oooh, nice visual.

My mom loves Marie Calendar's.

Just as long you don't mind his size. The size of his hands, that is. Yeah.

Suzie Petunia said...

"Inbred?" Which dictionary were you using again??

eleka nahmen said...

Ahhh, I swear I go to dictionary.com at least once a day. I love it. The OED is divine, as well.

I never did answer you, btw.. I interned for one of Idaho's senators, worked in the Dirksen Senate Office Building, had the best time of my life, and you should *absolutely* do it.

Gregory said...

Well, hello there. Today a woman came into my work with very large hands, but not man hands. It was weird; I'd say they we just very sturdy yet elegant hands.