
My name is Alicia. That is obvious. I didn't think the other parts of my name were that confusing, but as was evidence at graduation, words are hard. Even for college faculty. I understand that foreign names could be difficult, but all parts of my name are pretty standard English, American names.
Graduation was about a week and a half ago. I was less excited because I should have graduated earlier but had to take an online class for my last semester. I decided to walk anyway, and that's where the fun started. My name card said Alicia Manning. I asked the lady if I could change it so it said my full name, with Marie and Starkey also. She said they would be able to read four names. Ha.
We lined up in the Spectrum for this supposed momentous occasion. The instructions were to go up, give them your name, walk and shake some hands, you know all the usual graduation crap. The girl before me got her name pronounced wrong, and I knew I was screwed. Her name was Alicia too. After I gave the dude my tag, he looked at it close, held it back farther, and announced, " Marie Sparky". I'm sure my face looked a little shocked so he looked at the card again and corrected his mistake. "Starkey," he said. Oh that helps.
John was down on the floor to take pictures but I forgot to look at him due to the fact that I didn't graduate. He got some nice back of the head pics of Marie Sparky that I'll be posting.





All in all a very funny day which I, and Marie Sparky of course, will remember.
11 comments:
Alicia, that is hilarious!
I think my name was also mispronounced at graduation (by my teacher, of course)
I'm not sure about Mark's, but it may have been also.
Steed doesn't seem like it would be that hard, either.
Of course, the name readers do have tremendous pressure put upon them.
I wouldn't want that job.
no way
(ps, congrats on graduating! woohoo)
Alicia, I love it. I laughed out loud!! Congrats on graduating...you and Marie !!
Ah, great story! I don't know how somebody could get your name wrong, but apparently it's quite possible. At least this will make for a good and humorous memory for you.
We love our auntie Marie :) Come visit soon!! Will is growing fast.
you're hilarious alicia. i love that you posted about this. my college advisor, WHO KNOWS ME REALLY WELL..AND who SPEAKS SPANISH still said my name is MARSHA instead of MAR-SEE-YA...but that's not as good of a story as marie sparky. love your posts!
Congrats on graduating Marie Sparky! Did you know that Sparky is ASU mascot's name? Sparky the sun devil? We should call you our family's little devil from now on... how have you been my phantom sister?
I think that's great! My mom still wants to sue the university because they didn't give me my honors tassles or have my name in the program. I guess that's what we get for graduating, right? Hope life is splendifferous!
Congrats on graduating! You would think after all the money you paid the University they could at least graduate the right person. Hopefully, they get the diploma right (it's most expensive piece of paper I ever bought!)
That is spectacular Lyt!! So funny!
Alicia, I just found your blog and laughed at your story. I added you to my list of friends, I like to read your stories :)
How are things going for you? Are y'all in Logan still?
Marie Sparky is awesome. You should be honored that someone mistook you for her.
Post a Comment